Answers from Our Experts (1)
Right in the heart of Athens, some of the best Greek chefs are taking their country’s specialties to another level. Here are five great places in Athens to taste their work:
1. Ithaki. Situated in a green lush corner of the Vouliagmeni Peninsula, Ithaki has a large balcony with views of the sea. Come here to dine on a delectable selection of sushi and other fresh seafood dishes.
2. Spondi. Housed in an old Athenian mansion, this award-winning restaurant offers a stellar wine list and a gourmet take on Greek cuisine.
3. Filistron. Admire the Acropolis from Filistron’s rooftop terrace as you decide which traditional Greek mezes (appetizers) and dishes to enjoy.
4. Balthazar. Located in a neo-classical home, this restaurant has an airy open garden filled with palm trees and a hip vibe. As for the cuisine, it’s Greek Mediterranean, serving dishes like marinated fish and ravioli stuffed with chicken in tomato sauce and ladotyri Zakynthos.
5. Varoulko. This award-winning seafood restaurant focuses on taking classic Mediterranean dishes to an even more sophisticated level. For example, the traditional fish soup is topped with saffron and capers.