Answers from Our Experts (1)
Between the archeological sites, the nightlife and shopping, there are plenty of things to see and do in Athens. Here, according to our Forbes Travel Guide editors, are the five best things to do in one of the world’s oldest cities:
1. Visit the Acropolis of Athens. The towering sight of it from afar strikes a chord of admiration. Once at the top, you can admire the city spread out before you (not to mention the birthplace of democracy).
2. Explore the Acropolis Museum. The archeological museum reopened next to the Acropolis of Athens in 2009 to international acclaim for its bright, sleek design. Inside, it showcases the artifacts found near the Acropolis.
3. Experience the Athenian Riviera. The blue-green sea here splashes onto a bustling coastline of beaches, clubs, restaurants and cafes.
4. Climb Mount Lycabettus. You can hike it or just hop on a funicular train to the top, where a restaurant, café and the hill’s namesake church offer a breathtaking view of the Acropolis.
5. Stroll through Old Athens. Get lost in the charming, narrow and winding streets that cross through the ancient neighborhoods of Plaka, Monastiraki and Psyrri.