Answers from Our Experts (1)
Rice House celebrates classic preparations of unique ingredients, many of which come from local farms or the gardens and hunting plantation at Barnsley Resort. Among the seasonal menu items, here are the five best:
1. Springbank quail. Wild quail hunted sustainably on the Forbes Travel Guide recommended hotel’s plantation is grilled and served over shitake and apple risotto and topped with spinach and dried cherry sauce.
2. Seasonal risotto. Served with pan seared seafood and in-season vegetables, the risotto is guaranteed to please — last year’s favorite included wild mushrooms.
3. Vichyssoise. The chef incorporates fresh sorrel (when available from the gardens) into the potato leek soup for an acidic tang.
4. Duck. Sautéed Muscovy duck breast is served with a ginger and black pepper foie gras sauce, brussels sprouts and asparagus.
5. Venison. Wild game entrées are always menu highlights at Rice House, and the seared venison loin with roasted shallots is a popular dish.