A spectacular hillside resort in Bali
Showcasing the discreet luxury that Aman resorts are famous for, Amanusa, one of the brand’s three properties in Bali, sprawls across a massive hillside estate in one of the island’s most upscale neighborhoods.
As the name implies (Amanusa means “peaceful isle”), this place is a self-contained hideaway set upon a hillside just a short distance from the white sandy beach of Nusa Dua. The 35 suites display Balinese design with thatched roofs and marble floors. Each is an enclave within verdant gardens that ensures utter privacy. The 10 expansive villas come with assigned butlers and a private chef; each hosts its own spacious lawn, library, home theater and private dining lounge that can fit up to 10 people.
Other high-end amenities include a lavish spa, two indoor/outdoor restaurants and an exclusive beach club that serves fresh seafood in plush private bamboo pavilions overlooking the sea.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• The neighboring Bali National Golf Club is one of the best on the island and features three distinct playing environments. Amanusa guests receive priority access with all the equipment you need prepared in advance.
• The Bali hotel’s main pool is a wonderful place to while the day away. Almost 100 feet long, the pool is surrounded by blooming bougainvillea; traditional gamelan players perform the enchanting music of Indonesia daily.
• An Amanusa guest-only private beach is on one of the most picturesque stretches of sand on the island. The beachside breakfast experience is worth getting out of bed for.
• Service is delivered in typical Aman style — discreet yet attentive. A butler will tend to your needs but is far from intrusive.
• Sunset is best enjoyed at the resort’s bar with Amanusa’s signature Bali Becik cocktail, a refreshing pineapple and coconut milk concoction.
What to Know
• Despite being located at the heart of Nusa Dua with many luxury resorts and establishments nearby, Amanusa manages to retain the illusion of being in an ultra-secluded location.
• The Pool Suites each have their own private swimming pool, outdoor terraces and outdoor showers with lily ponds.
• A traditional urut massage at the resort’s spa that can also be performed in the comfort of your own suite. The massage combines acupressure and palm pressure methods to soothe the body.
• While Amanusa is not directly on the beach, the beach club is only a couple of minutes away via the resort’s refurbished Volkswagen.
• For the romantic souls, a torch-lit dinner can be set up in a private cabana at the beach club.
• The luxury hotel suites reflect the traditional Balinese hut with thatched roofs and wooden beams; each is engulfed within lush gardens that provide lots of privacy. Views are of the adjacent golf course, the resort’s gardens or the ocean.
• Accommodations all have veil-draped four-poster beds, canopied outdoor daybeds, sunken baths, outdoor showers and private dining tables.
• The two-story villas range from three to six bedrooms, each featuring a large area with a private pool, an open-air dining pavilion and a library.
• Guest rooms all stock Aman’s natural blend of amenities made locally in eastern Bali.
• Perched high above the main swimming pool, the hilltop Terrace restaurant offers specialty Thai and Indonesian cuisine with sweeping vistas of Bali’s southernmost peninsula.
• The Bar, located adjacent to the main lobby, is the perfect spot for panoramic sunset drinks and is also the setting for daily complimentary afternoon tea. The bar overlooks the golf course and the Indian Ocean.
• The dinner-only Italian restaurant serves contemporary Italian fare in both a high-ceiling romantic interior and in an alfresco setting under blooming frangipani trees overlooking the main pool.
• The beach club is reserved for Amanusa guests only and serves all-time comfort foods and grilled feasts. Its Nusa Beef burger is an apt companion for a lazy day at the beach.