A luxe jungle hideaway in Bali
Mandapa, A Ritz-Carlton Reserve is located in central Bali, among the jungles and rice fields. The magical, secluded location is surprisingly only a 10-minute drive from the center of Ubud, Bali’s cultural hub.
It’s the third in a series of exquisite one-off Ritz-Carlton Reserve boutique resorts (each under 100 rooms) in international locations handpicked for their stunning settings.
“Mandapa” means temple and, indeed, when you enter its grounds you can sense the spirituality of the place. Surrounded by rice fields and dense tropical jungle, it is located on the sweeping Ayung River.
At Mandapa, you have the opportunity to follow a path through nature to wellness. It offers tailored spiritual, health and wellness options, such as a cleansing detox program, yoga, Balinese healing sessions, organic plant-based diet options and a variety of body treatments.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• The Bali hotel consists of 35 luxurious suites and 25 pool villas, which include both traditional Balinese and contemporary interiors by renowned Asia-based DesignWilkes. Every room has an original Balinese painting by a local artist.
• Mandapa’s rafting trip will have you gliding and swirling your way through the bends and rapids of the river. At the end, you’ll be dropped off at Mandapa’s jetty where a buggy awaits, saving you the hundred-stair climb up.
• There are eight treatment rooms at Mandapa Spa, where you can receive divine body treatments including specialties like chakra balancing. Unique services include a session with the intuitive blind healer and a consultation with an acclaimed Balinese healer, a Balian whose wisdom and knowledge embrace ancient philosophies and practices that have been passed down from generation to generation.
What to Know
• The Dining Beyond option allows you to choose where to have your meal — opt for a natural setting like the river’s edge or in the middle of rice fields, or have your meal prepared in your private villa.
• A yoga session at River Front Yoga Pavilion will help to balance your mind, your breath, and your body — be guided into your asanas while listening to the mighty Ayung River in the distance.
• Kids won’t be left out here: Mandapa Camp offers a slew of activities based on a engaging with the environment in fun ways, like organic gardening, nature walks, Balinese kite flying and rice paddy exploration.
• Each dreamy Reserve Suite is 1,075 square feet and has an enormous marble bathroom with a soaking tub, beautiful rice paddy views from a private patio and traditional Balinese décor of woods and natural materials.
• Mandapa Suites are larger at 1,560 square feet and beautifully furnished with local art and also decorated in traditional Balinese style. These suites blend into the natural setting, affording a 180-degree view of rainforest and rice paddies.
• Pool Villas have a private gardens and swimming pools with views of the jungle and the river. The three-bedroom villa option has a fully equipped kitchen, an outdoor shower, a separate dining/living area, a massage table and an enormous 1,850-square-foot private pool.
• Choose among four restaurants and lounges located in dramatic surroundings at the luxury hotel.
• Cocoon yourself in one of nine bamboo pods overlooking the river at Kubu, which serves local Indonesian cuisine like Bebek Betutu (slow cooked duck breast marinated in Balinese herbs and spices and wrapped in banana leaf) or Mediterranean fare like the tuna “crudo” with burrata pugliese, smoked lettuce and tomato essence.
• More alfresco dining can be had at Sawah Terrace, which faces the rice paddies and features Balinese and Asian fare. The Pool Bar serves lunch and has classics and healthy options, including a detox section.
• The Library is more of a lounge and made for you to linger over cocktails or tea.