Family-friendly luxury on a Bali cliff
Perched on the southern tip of the island, The Ritz-Carlton, Bali sprawls across a dramatic cliff and drops all the way down to its private white-sand beach. It’s a more secluded spot, and the attentive service is deeply immersed in warm Balinese hospitality.
The romantic views-for-days setting combined with amenities like a seaside chapel, beachfront infinity pool and lavish spa make the Ritz-Carlton a haven for couples. But it’s an eminently family-friendly hotel, boasting a kids club filled with toys (from educational games to the latest PlayStation picks) and kiddie classes and daily workshops that explore Balinese culture.
Opened in 2015, the hotel finds inspiration in the kalpataru, or “tree of life,” which stands for wisdom, strength and beauty. In fact, you’ll see the tree in a mural inside of the open-air lobby, serving as a centerpiece and lighting fixture in the perfume shop and etched into a wooden box in your room.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• A spa visit is a must. The signature Iridescent Delight treatment uses a crushed pearls extract that has long been Asia’s royal beauty secret for glowing and supple skin.
• Begin your day with a soul purification ceremony. A cleansing ritual of the Balinese, the blessing is led by a priest in the early morning by the beach and is believed to rid negative energy.
• Make your own perfume at L’Atelier Parfums et Créations. One of the most popular resort activities, this workshop allows you to mix essential oils to create your own fragrance. It’s a great class to do with kids as well.
• Peek in the resort’s famous wedding chapel. Featuring floor-to-ceiling glass walls overlooking the blue sky and the azure Indian Ocean on the horizon, it is one the most beautiful chapels in Bali that will make you say “I do” over and over.
• Children can go wild at Ritz Kids. This complimentary guest-only kids club plans myriad activities for ages 4 to 12. Sign them up for cultural classes, such as Balinese dance, lantern making and kite flying.
What to Know
• A dedicated 24-hour butler service is available for villa guests. A personal shopper is also at your disposal, guiding you through the best shops and hidden gems in the area.
• If you arrive too early for check-in, wait it out at the Raku Lounge, where complimentary drinks, cookies and entertainment will help kill time. Shower facilities are also available for those who just came from a long-haul flight and want to refresh.
• While most may prefer the oceanfront accommodations, the fifth-level Sky Villas offer panoramas of the whole cliff and ocean. Aside from the breathtaking view, you will be surrounded by total privacy — not to mention you’ll have your own cliffside pool.
• The luxury hotel welcomes families. In addition to the complimentary kids club, there are ways to ensure plenty of quality parent-kid bonding time. The Indian Ocean Aquatic Goddess program turns mother and daughter into magical mermaids with colorful tails, followed by manicures and a face-painting session.
• Reserve one of the Club Suites to access the members-only private pool and The Ritz-Carlton Club Lounge, which serves all-day dining, afternoon tea and sundowner cocktails.
• The resort maintains 313 hotel rooms with eight categories that will suit every taste. The Sawangan Junior Suites provide direct access to the pool, while the Garden Villas sit amid lush tropical gardens. Those who fancy heights will be in awe with the Cliff Villas or Sky Villas with spectacular vistas of the Indian Ocean.
• The accommodations are spacious. Even the smallest type features 1,076 square feet.
• Done by Burega Farnell, the interior design of the room is practical and sleek, yet the ambience remains warm and authentic with Balinese ornaments sprinkled around.
• Bathrooms come equipped with London-based Asprey bath amenities.
• All rooms feature iHome Bluetooth sound streaming, satellite TVs and DVD players.
• Dining choices are plenty, both in terms of the type of cuisines as well as the venues. For authentic Indonesian fine dining, Bejana with its “Culinary Cave” (a cooking school space) will make for good entertainment as it showcases an open-kitchen style. Raku offers scrumptious Japanese delights, including sushi, sashimi and maki, located cliffside.
• Breezes Tapas Lounge by the main pool serves classic and contemporary cocktails, including the Berry Breeze with vodka and a refreshing berry mix that helps beat Bali’s scorching heat.
• Honeymooners can also set up a romantic dinner by the beach. A three-course set menu, champagne and roses will enchant couples.
• Have brunch in style at The Beach Grill, featuring seafood platters, steaks and the cool ocean breeze. The Sunday brunch is famous among locals as well, so make sure to reserve your table in advance.