Answers from Our Experts (1)
Whether you want to stay in the downtown area or in the surrounding countryside, Baton Rogue has some great options to consider. Here are the five best that Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend:
1. Nottoway Resort. This gorgeous white historic hotel is said to be the South’s largest antebellum mansion and is located about 40 minutes south of downtown Baton Rouge. You’ll find tennis courts, a pool and cabana, a salon, and a restaurant spread throughout the expansive grounds.
2. Hilton Baton Rogue Capitol Center. Stay in a guest room downtown, and have views of either the bustling streets or the Mississippi River. The décor is Southern and grand, and you can dine on down-home cuisine at the onsite restaurant Kingfish Grill.
3. Oak Alley Plantation. If you want to spend the night at one of the more famous plantations along the Great River Road, check in at Oak Alley. The interiors have been brought up to modern standards, so you’ll have comfy beds and WiFi; outside, it’s just a short stroll to the banks of the Mississippi. Breakfast and lunch are served in the main house or you can order dinner to your cottage.
4. Belle of Baton Rouge Casino & Hotel. Located downtown, this casino hotel has well-furnished guest rooms and an impressive slate of amenities, including a fitness center, business center, and outdoor pool and whirlpool. Three dining options provide everything from elaborate meals to a quick bite for those on a tight schedule.
5. Madewood Plantation House. Once part of a sugar cane plantation, the historic inn is about an hour’s drive south of Baton Rouge on the plantation trail to New Orleans. Enjoy a nightly wine and cheese reception in the library, an elegant restaurant, surprisingly spacious rooms and stellar service.