Answers from Our Experts (2)
Choice sightseeing and shopping abound Birmingham, a quintessential Southern town. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’s picks for the best things to do in Birmingham.
1. Vulcan Park and Museum. From its vantage point on top of the mountain, you can see the entire city. There’s no better way to take it all in, and the museum in the park tells the story of Birmingham’s geographic origins.
2. Birmingham Botanical Gardens. The 67 acres are separated into unique gardens, including our favorites, the Wildflower Garden and the Vegetable Garden. The gift shop carries garden-related items from books to planters to children’s toys.
3. Birmingham Civil Rights Institute. This is a must-see stop on any Birmingham itinerary. The hub for civil and human rights education the perfect spot to learn about the history of Birmingham.
4. Barber Motorsports Park & Museum. Sports fans will enjoy this amazing track, where you can sit on beautifully landscaped grounds and enjoy a race. You also have to stop in the museum for the unique collection of beautifully restored vintage motorcycles.
5. Birmingham Museum of Art. Linger over displays of the best Wedgwood china collection in the country. Then take a trip outside to enjoy the outdoor sculpture garden and lunch in the café.
1. The Birmingham Museum of Art and the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute are really amazing amenities in our city.
2. One of the things people may or may not know about Birmingham, the surrounding area and Alabama generally is that it has some of the most beautiful topography and natural resources. It’s the largest river system of any state in the world or in the country.
3. I’d also say going to the farmers market and a great seasonal market called the Pepper Place Market that’s open May through October. It’s artisanal — so the cheese makers, farmers, the honey makers and the egg producers are all there.