Answers from Our Experts (2)
Wequassett's Outer Bar & Grille is a casual setting, overlooking the pool and beach with both indoor and outdoor seating. It has a great children’s menu that is presented on a toy sailboat. The resort also offers family theme-night dining, including clambakes and barbecues.
The Chatham Squire on Main Street in Chatham has a pub-like feel and is a great place for lunch or dinner while in town.
The Delmar in Chatham serves wood-grilled pizzas and a variety of nicely prepared local fish. It is a lively atmosphere, and children are given crayons for the paper tablecloth.
The Lobster Claw in the nearby town of Orleans is known as a great family restaurant. It serves lunch and dinner daily and features fresh local seafood, including lobster, steamed clams, haddock, swordfish and salmon. A children's menu offers fried clam strips, shrimp, scallops and chicken tenders.
Arnold's Lobster and Clam Bar in Eastham is about a 20-minute drive from the resort. It’s a great clam shack for lunch or dinner. The restaurant is casual, and you can come right from the beach or ride your bike — the Cape Cod Rail Trail runs through the property.
It’s hard not to find a kid-friendly restaurant on Cape Cod. From ice cream stands to clam shacks to diners, there’s plenty for kids to enjoy on the Cape. Most restaurants in this family-focused destination are amenable to children in their dining rooms, if not targeted in cuisine or atmosphere to younger diners. Here are five of the best:
1. Lobster Pot, Provincetown. Lobster Pot is consistently a favorite for kids and families. The restaurant overlooks Provincetown Harbor and has various dining rooms featuring fresh seafood, steaks, chicken and a full kids menu that includes everything from clam chowder to burgers. The Lobster Pot is open April through November.
2. Lobster Boat, Yarmouth. Not to be confused with Lobster Pot, Lobster Boat has a full seafood menu, including fresh lobsters steamed onsite, as well as pastas, burgers, and of course, clam chowder. All kids meals are served on a free Lobster Boat frisbee, so your little ones will have a souvenir of their visit.
3. A & W Root Beer, Harwich. What’s better than root beer floats and french fries? Few things, according to kids, so the A&W does it right with a full menu that includes everything from hot dogs to lobster rolls and soft-serve ice cream. Parents will enjoy the nostalgia of the diner-style A & W while kids enjoy the atmosphere.
4. Kream 'n Kone, Chatham. The famous ice cream shack also serves fried and boiled seafood, burgers, and kids meals, all on paper plates and bowls so there’s little mess and fuss when dining any time of day.
5. Beachcomber, Wellfleet. Also a favorite among young adults and beach-goers, the Beachcomber in Wellfleet is a Cape Cod institution welcoming guests of all ages. Situated on Cahoon Hallow Beach, the Beachcomber has a full raw bar and full kids menu, featuring fried seafood treats, as well as burgers, hot dogs and ice cream. Beachcomber is open for lunch and dinner, and transforms into a hot spot for at night, so you’ll want to dine early with the kids to avoid the crowds.