Answers from Our Experts (1)
Columbus is considered one of the best cities to raise a family — which is no surprise, considering its world-renowned zoo and endless list of seasonal activities for kids. Here are our picks for what to do with kids in this Ohio city:
1. COSI. When it comes to entertaining kids, nothing beats COSI (formerly known as the Center of Science and Industry). Overlooking the Scioto River, the museum is nationally recognized for its interactive exhibits. Visitors can explore the depths of the oceans, take the wheel of a Mars rover and balance a unicycle on a high wire that spans 84 feet.
2. The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium and Zoombezi Bay. Ranked among the world’s best, the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is an ideal destination for families. The facility is divided into multiple exhibits that feature thousands of animals in their native habitats. Meanwhile, the neighboring waterpark, Zoombezi Bay, provides a fun way to cool off. The kid-friendly park has a wave pool, a lazy river and several towering slides.
3. Huntington Park. Home to the Columbus Clippers, a minor league affiliate of the Cleveland Indians, Huntington Park is an inexpensive way to experience all of the excitement of Major League Baseball. On Tuesdays, the park hosts its famous “Dime a Dog” nights, indisputably the cheapest way to enjoy a ballpark frank. Tickets sell quickly, but lawn seating is almost always available.
4. Columbus Commons. This nine-acre park in the heart of downtown Columbus boasts a carousel, a concert pavilion and a children’s outdoor reading room sponsored by the Columbus Library. Every Friday during the summer, Commons for Kids hosts Ohio State University athletes and coaches to participate in story time and book giveaways.
5. Nationwide Arena. Hockey fans would be remiss if they passed up a chance to see The Columbus Blue Jackets play in this 800,000-square-foot arena. The bulk of this colossal structure is underground, just below the bustling Arena District.