Costa Rica’s enchanting ecological escape
El Silencio Lodge & Spa is an enchanting and sophisticated property operated by Grupo Islita. The generous cabins are nestled among a stunning cloud forest, allowing you to escape into the heart of Costa Rica while never forgoing luxury or sustainability.
The rainforest hotel’s expansive private trails give nature lovers plenty of opportunity to discover the country’s magnificent wildlife, while nearby rural towns offer authentic cultural immersion.
Esencia Spa sits by the peaceful creek, allowing you to connect with nature while enjoying the massages, body wraps and yoga on offer here.
Foodies will appreciate the authentic cuisine on offer at Las Ventanas Restaurant. Organic, fresh produce, much of which is grown onsite, is expertly prepared to highlight the best of Costa Rica. And, of course, what’s a visit to Costa Rica without trying a locally prepared cup of coffee?
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• With 16 accommodations that are distributed around the secluded property, El Silencio affords you a genuine connection with the lush natural assets of Costa Rica.
• Peer through the panoramic windows of Las Ventanas Restaurant for incredible views of the mountain forest while sampling delicious Costa Rican food prepared with an organic farm-to-table philosophy. Try the vegetable quesadillas.
• The staff and its attention to detail are part of what makes El Silencio a place to stay. Little touches like tucking a hot water bottle into the beds while guests dine elevate the already sensational hotel experience.
• An extensive list of activities, both on- and off-site, allow you to refine your stay to your tastes. Adventure, relaxation or a healthy mix of the two, whatever you seek, the eco-concierge will help put together your perfect getaway.
What to Know
• Tucked in the cloud forests about 90 minutes from San Jose, the journey through the mountain roads is an incredible ride. It is recommended, however, to plan your arrival for daylight hours to ensure your safety on the roads.
• The weekend is when the Costa Rica hotel is more likely to be at capacity, as this is when locals are able to explore their own beautiful country. If you’re looking for an even quieter escape, plan your stay for during the week.
• Expect sunshine, rain, clouds and mist while visiting the central volcanic region of Costa Rica. This part of the country is far milder than coastal areas, so pack accordingly.
• The Riverside Suites provide the most convenient access to the main building, making them the best choice for guests who may have mobility issues.
• Four categories of accommodations are available, all using beautiful natural tones to blend into their surroundings. Each suite is spacious, with panoramic windows and a private outdoor whirlpool spa.
• The wooden decks are the perfect place to sit and enjoy the tranquil setting. As each suite is ensconced by nature, bird watching is often possible from here. It’s an enchanting way to start your morning.
• While Wi-Fi is available for free in the main building, only the Riverside Suites and Private Villas have their own in-room Wi-Fi. Additionally, only the Master Suites and Private Villas contain TVs.
• Rainforest hikes are available both on- and off-site. The complimentary hike through the Hummingbird Garden and private cloud forest trails is a relaxing trek.
• The hotel’s own Adventure Park is perfect for adrenaline junkies. Whether you zipline over the forest canopy or rappel down waterfalls, you’ll satisfy your inner daredevil.
• Bajos del Toro is a small rural community that is a 10-minute drive from the property. Go here to learn about Costa Rican culture, including how to make fresh tortillas.
• Sarchi is another rural town, approximately a 45-minute drive from the luxury hotel. It is home to Costa Rica’s colorful carretas (oxcarts), and you can watch local craftsmen continue their cultural legacy.