Answers from Our Experts (1)
Southernmost Beach Resort serves a variety of seafood dishes and frozen beverages, but we think these items are the five best things to eat and drink at the Key West hotel:
1. Lobster cake Benedict. If you’re in the mood for a rich treat at breakfast, try this twist on the traditional Benedict. Two poached eggs are set on top of seared Maine lobster cakes, placed on English muffins and drizzled with a decadent hollandaise.
2. Key lime margarita. For the liquid version of key lime pie, you have to try Southernmost Beach Café’s beverage of choice among regulars. The usual lime tequila is mixed with Ke Ke Beach liqueur, a splash of OJ and margarita mix. This frozen treat is a layered mix of green and white, topped with a plastic twisty straw to remind you you’re on casual tropic time.
3. B.Y.O. omelet. Build breakfast to your heart’s content with a list of ingredients that includes crab meat, Key West pink shrimp, and every cheese and vegetable you can think of. We recommend a savory mix of pink shrimp, red pepper, tomato and feta cheese. All omelets are made with three eggs and are served with seasoned house potatoes.
4. Conch fritters. Something about this deep-fried island favorite gets us every time. Order poolside as a snack or as a prelude to your dinner. This dish is served with a tangy sweet-and-spicy dipping sauce.
5. Homemade key lime pie. You can’t visit the Keys without tasting a fresh key lime pie — and what better place to enjoy one than at the southernmost tip? This one is made with an Oreo cookie crust; you’ll devour the sweet-and-tart combination while asking for seconds. We have to be honest and tell you we ordered it three times while staying at the Forbes Travel Guide Recommended hotel.