Answers from Our Experts (1)
Frankfurt is a welcoming destination for families with kids. A world class zoo, kid-targeted museums and a slew of hand-crafted toy shops will fill the hours with fun. Here Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ favorites for five of the best things to do with kids in Frankfurt.
1. Tour the Kinder Museum. What could be more child-friendly than a Children’s Museum? Solely dedicated to subterranean happenings, it is home to a series of interactive exhibits varying from a subway simulator and a real-life bomb shelter to a tour of the water canal system and important archaeological digs.
1. Go for a swim. Frankfurt is home to a number of swimming baths. During the winter choose from the excellent heated pools across the city, while in the summer you’ll find even more great open-air baths and water parks. Or if you’d prefer a swim in the wild, head for one of the city’s 50 lakes and ponds.
3. Visit the city zoo. Animals attractions are always guaranteed to keep kids interested, and Frankfurt is home to one of the continent’s largest zoos, which in turn is home to more than 5,000 animals of 600 species.
4. Go toy shopping. Frankfurt is famous for its traditional toy makers, so take your kids to Hannah Kley for wonderful wooden toys, Das Spielzimmer for handmade dolls or Hochster Porzellan for fragile collectibles.
5. Take to the ice. Frankfurt’s Eissporthalle is a frozen paradise, with an enormous family-friendly ice rink designed for skating and playing ice hockey. You can even take in a professional hockey game here.