Answers from Our Experts (1)
The French Riviera has long been a vacation destination for the rich and the very rich, so there’s no shortage of grand places to stay. Many of its resorts have a long history. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the five best places to stay on the French Riviera:
1. Majestic Barrière, Cannes. A complete renovation in 2011 makes the legendary Majestic Barrière in Cannes even more luxurious. Ideally located along La Croisette, the Majestic is a favorite among the many celebrities who flock to Cannes for the film festival
2. Grand-Hôtel du Cap-Ferrat, Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat. The legendary hotel located on a peninsula between Nice and Monaco was recently renovated. The hotel has a new wing, new suites with private pools, new spa and revamped modern rooms. What hasn’t changed is the famous pool. The Olympic-size seawater pool, which you get to via an ornate glass cable car, is as lovely as ever.
3. La Réserve Ramatuelle, St. Tropez. The secluded hideaway features cool white rooms with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Mediterranean, beautiful bungalows nestled among its gardens and a light-filled spa.
4. Hôtel du Cap-Eden-Roc, Antibes. This is where the A-list stays during the Cannes Film Festival and after a four-year renovation the hotel is as splendid as ever. The property includes a seawater pool with private cabanas built into the cliff, a La Prairie spa and clay tennis courts.
5. Hôtel de Paris, Monaco. This gilded palace adjacent to the Casino de Monte Carlo was built in 1864. The Belle Époque hotel offers one of the Riviera’s best restaurants, Le Louis XV – Alain Ducasse, as well as an unrivaled wine cellar holding almost 600,000 bottles. Most rooms have an opulent Empire style and many have views of the Mediterranean.