Answers from Our Experts (1)
One of the best things about the French Riviera is that you’re usually just a stone’s throw from some great shopping no matter where you are. You’ll want to pick up perfumes, olive oil, wine, handcrafts and more. Here’s where our Forbes Travel Guide editors say you can find the best shopping on the French Riviera:
1. Cannes. You’ll find all the high-end boutiques in Cannes, including Dior, Chanel and Louis Vuitton, as well as an outpost of the upscale French department store, Galeries Lafayette. Be sure to also shop the gourmet food shops along rue Meynadier.
2. Grasse. In the small town of Grasse, just outside of Cannes, visit the parfumerie Galimard, one of the oldest perfume makers in the area and an epicenter of perfume production, to make a custom scent to take home.
3. Èze. Further to the north, the commune of Èze is known for its olive production; stop by Deli’ for an olive oil and vinegar tasting.
4. Nice. You’ll find markets all over the French Riviera. In Nice, the Cours Saleya is the city’s most famous market, particularly for flowers. It’s best to get there in the morning when vendors are still fully stocked.
5. St. Tropez. Be sure to pick up a pair of the famous sandals sold in town. We also recommend a visit to Atelier Ivan Hov for the shop owner’s incredible collection of handcrafted paper boats, from wall-size to ones that will fit in your hand.