Answers from Our Experts (1)
You’ll find plenty of amenities when you visit Blackberry Farm, a sprawling, pastoral resort tucked in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains. Here are our picks for the best:
1. Farmhouse spa. An 1800s farmhouse has been transformed into a luxurious spa at Blackberry Farm. Rooms once used as bedrooms now house the spa’s treatment rooms. The original floors of the farmhouse have been carefully restored, too. This Aveda Concept Spa is a sanctuary of relaxation, renewal and comfort. Enjoy a full or partial day of soothing services to calm and rejuvenate your body. The spa has a full menu of services to choose from including its signature Blackberry Mist body treatment.
2. Horseback-riding program. The red barn next to Hesse Creek dates back to the time when this was a traditional working farm. Today, the barn serves as the home of Blackberry’s horseback riding program. Don’t worry about your skill level; you are invited to sign up for a variety of trail ride and riding lesson packages. Each ride includes a helmet and a Western or English saddle.
3. Culinary events. The Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel offers a wide range of culinary events. We especially liked the option to spend the day with one of the chefs fro The Barn as they guide you through their daily culinary routine. You can also sign up for a cooking demonstration, whiskey tasting, private wine tasting or a beer tasting. Out on the farm, schedule a day with Master Gardener John Coykendall. He’ll gladly teach you about the history and craft of sowing, harvesting and seed saving – you can also spend time with him in the fields harvesting the day’s produce for the Blackberry culinary staff.
4. Fly-fishing program. This luxury Tennessee hotel is an Orvis-endorsed fishing lodge that has been recognized as lodge of the year two times. Blackberry’s fishing guides and instructors teach beginners the basics of fly-fishing or help experienced anglers find the best places on the water. According to the staff, Blackberry guests have access to two ponds and a stream on the farm and more than 700 miles of fishable trout streams in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, and stretches of the Clinch and Holston rivers.
5. Shotgun sports. Blackberry Farm provides guests of all skill levels numerous shotgun disciplines to choose from including skeet, trap, sporting clays and more. Private instruction is available from certified instructors, too. Blackberry’s shooting academy is a short drive from the farm.