Answers from Our Experts (1)
Monte Carlo is a playground for the rich and famous, but the luxe destination on the French Riviera has something for kids, too. From exploring the renowned Oceanographic Museum to checking out Prince Rainier III’s vintage car collection, your kids will have plenty to explore. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks of the five best things to do with kids in Monte Carlo:
1. The Oceanographic Museum. The 1901 building that houses the Oceanographic Museum in nearby Monaco-Ville towers cliffside above the Mediterranean Sea. Your kids will love exploring the 90 pools of rare Mediterranean and tropical species and visiting the Shark Lagoon — it has bright, colorful fish on one side of a coral reef and predators on the other.
2. The beach. Larvotto Beach, Monaco’s only public beach, is a great place to take the little ones. Set in front of Avenue Princess Grace, the popular beach features a playground and calm waters for swimming or snorkeling. A lifeguard is on duty in July and August to ensure a safe beach day.
3. Classic cars. Prince Rainier III’s classic car collection will impress both you and your kids. Located in the Fontvieille district, the Monaco Top Cars Collection is home to all sorts of beauties — everything from sports cars to horse-drawn carriages. Around 100 vehicles are on display from names like Ford, Maserati and Rolls Royce.
4. Exotic Gardens. Your children may not be budding botanists, but the Exotic Gardens are interesting for just about everyone. It’s a lovely display of stalactites and cacti in a glorious setting overlooking the French Riviera. Your kids might think looking at a bunch of plants is a snooze but there’s cave at the bottom that you can tour that they’ll find cool. Be sure to also visit the Anthropology Museum within the gardens to learn a little more about the archeological side of things.
5. Zoological Gardens. Though not one of the larger zoos we’ve seen, these gardens are a fun activity for kids. Founded in 1954 by Prince Rainier III, the zoo is home to approximately 50 different species like exotic birds, primates, hippopotamus and black panthers.