Answers from Our Experts (1)
It’s impossible to capture the experience of a visit to the Bernardus Winery tasting room without going there. But here are five things to know before you go:
1. It specializes in chardonnay and pinot noir. The Central Coast region has a cool climate that’s perfect for growing pinot noir and chardonnay grapes with deep flavors and refreshing acid.
2. The tasting room is cozy. Located in the heart of Carmel Valley, the tasting room is a petite and welcoming place where you can taste all the wines as well as pick up bath products from The Spa at Bernardus Lodge and wine-related gifts.
3. Marinus is the signature wine. While Bernardus Winery is known for its chardonnays, pinot noirs and sauvignon blancs, the signature wine is the Marinus, a silky and bright Bordeaux-inspired blend of cabernet sauvignon, merlot, malbec, petit verdot and cabernet franc. Marinus (pronounced “Mare-EE-nus”) is the middle name of winery owner Ben Pon.
4. The winemaker trained in France. Dean De Korth studied enology at the Lycée Viticole in Beaune, France, and worked for top Burgundy producers for six years before returning to this country. He brings that French sense of balance and respect for the grapes to his winemaking.
5. Wines are showcased at Bernardus Lodge. If you want to try the Bernardus wines paired with gourmet cuisine, we suggest you visit either the upscale-but-casual Wickets Bistro or the high-end Four-Star Marinus for a meal.