Answers from Our Experts (1)
Moorea is a great place to fulfill your dream of staying in a luxurious overwater bungalow—rates at Moorea’s more casual-mid-range resorts are often lower than at the ultra-luxury resorts on nearby Bora Bora. Plus, the island has some of the most gorgeous natural surroundings in the world, so the resorts here need very little to establish their idyllic ambience. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the best places to stay in Moorea.
1. Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa. This family-friendly resort is centrally located between Moorea's two gorgeous bays. Its spacious thatched-roof bungalows, which are clean and streamlined with Polynesian prints and updated bathrooms, lie scattered throughout exotic flower gardens or suspended over the lagoon.
2. InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa. Tucked between the island's two mountains, this family-friendly resort has cheerful and spacious rooms centered around a garden, the beach or as overwater villas. Home to the popular Moorea Dolphin Center and Sea Turtle Clinic, this resort has also become a sanctuary for the island's most precious marine life.
3. Hotel Sofitel Moorea Ia Ora Beach Resort. Situated on one of the island's best white sand beaches, this resort is located close to the airport and ferry dock. The rooms and bungalows boast a sleek, modern décor, providing you with a private, stylish haven to call your own.
4. Moorea Pearl Resort and Spa. The charming Moorea Pearl Resort and Spa maintains a boutique hotel feel with just 95 rooms and bungalows decorated in traditional island style and featuring thatched roofs. Located just ten minutes from the airport and fifteen minutes from the ferry dock, it's one of the most conveniently located hotels on the island.
5. Legends Resort Moorea. Unlike other Polynesian resorts that hug the shoreline or extend onto it with overwater bungalows, Legends Resort Moorea is tucked away on a secluded hillside and delivers incredible views of the island. It offers large villas with multiple rooms, fully equipped kitchens and private jacuzzis, making it especially appealing for families.