Answers from Our Experts (1)
Moosehead Lake in Maine is an ideal spot for exploring the great outdoors with kids. Here’s what our Forbes Travel Guide editors suggest for family fun.
1. Plan to spend at least a day with your kids at Lily Bay State Park. Located on Moosehead Lake, your kids will love swimming in the fresh water and hiking along the two-mile shoreline trail.
2. Pack a picnic and spend the day at Moosehead Lake Junction Wharf, located right next to Moosehead Lake. There, you can watch floatplanes take off and land, go fishing and swimming, or simply eat, relax and take in the view.
3. Rent a canoe or motorboat. It’s the best way to see the pristine beauty of nature up close, and your kids will love keeping their eyes peeled for wildlife sightings along the way.
4. Go on a moose safari. Several businesses and hotels in the area offer them. We recommend checking out Northwoods Outfitters.
5. Explore Mount Kineo, one of Moosehead Lake’s main attractions. Pack a picnic lunch and hop on the boat shuttle, a great way for you and your kids to take in the views. After you arrive, you’ll find plenty of family-friendly hikes to enjoy.