Answers from Our Experts (2)
The five best things to order at The Restaurant at Meadowood change just as frequently as executive chef Christopher Kostow changes the menu. Since there are just two menus to choose from at this Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star restaurant — the Chef’s Tasting Menu and the Chef’s Counter Tasting Menu — you won’t be able to order anything specific, per se, though you will have the opportunity to discuss your likes, dislikes, dietary restrictions and any other requests you may have with your server, who’ll then relay that information to the kitchen before they begin preparing your feast.
With that said, here are five tips for your visit to this Five-Star Napa Valley restaurant:
1. If you want to taste as many different dishes as possible — and we think you should — we recommend ordering the Chef’s Counter Tasting Menu ($500), which includes a minimum of 20 courses. Your other option, the Chef’s Tasting Menu ($225), features nine or ten courses.
2. The optional course-by-course wine pairings prepared as collaborations between Kostow and wine director Michael Ireland are well worth the additional cost. Ireland will also likely visit your table to discuss the wines and the vineyards they come from with you, as well as answer any questions you might have about the Napa Valley wine-producing region at large.
3. When you make your reservation, inquire about the availability of Kostow’s indulgent foie gras, which is flavored in four different ways and is sure to delight with its richness and variety of seasonings.
4. Given The Restaurant at Meadowood’s idyllic location in the heart of Napa Valley, consider splurging on a glass or bottle of one of Napa’s most legendary varietals, cabernet sauvignon. Meadowood Napa Valley is owned by Bill Harlan, whose Harlan Estate wines are some of the world’s most-coveted reds. Harlan proprietary blend red wines are selling for upwards of $3,000 a bottle for some vintages, so take advantage of your close proximity to the estate and score a taste at what’s likely a much lower price than what you’ll find at specialty wine shops.
5. For a peek inside the mind of chef Kostow, and perhaps a preview of what seasonal dishes he’s preparing around the time of your visit, follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/ckostow.
The Restaurant at Meadowood offers a singular dining experience. It begins with each server speaking with each guest about how he is feeling; what he wants the experience in The Restaurant to look like. The servers take notes for each table then bring those notes into the kitchen, where custom menus are created. The Restaurant strives to create a deeper connection between our guests, our servers and the chef team. It’s all about relationships and communication.