Answers from Our Experts (1)
You really can’t go wrong ordering anything on chef Susan Spicer’s menu at French Quarter eatery Bayona. But these signature dishes are the best things to order:
1. Veal sweetbreads. Dressed in a sherry mustard or lemon caper butter, and available as either an appetizer or entrée, these savory morsels of goodness have become one of the chef’s standout dishes.
2. Eggplant caviar. Served with olive tapenade and herb croutons, this is another dish that’s been on the menu since the day the restaurant opened — one bite and you’ll see why.
3. Smoked quail salad. The crispy bird comes on a bed of greens, accompanied by pears and drizzled with a bourbon molasses dressing for a slightly sweet yet smoky taste of the South.
4. Wild Alaskan salmon. You’ll find French flavors in this entrée that’s served atop delicate sauerkraut and coated with a gewürztraminer wine sauce.
5. Grilled duck breast. This tender breast meat is accompanied by a confit-stuffed crepe, all lightly dressed in a date molasses and duck jus sauce, sprinkled with crushed pistachios and herbs.