Answers from Our Experts (2)
Located in the heart of Manhattan’s bustling Midtown, The Peninsula New York is an elegant and upscale hotel where you can get away from it all or explore a wealth of shopping and cultural activities. The Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star New York hotel offers a lot of perks, but we’ve rounded up the five things we love most:
1. Location, location, location. If you want to see all that Manhattan has to offer, staying at The Peninsula New York is a great way to do it. Located on Fifth Avenue at 55th Street, the hotel is a short walk from famous boutiques and department stores, including the landmark Saks Fifth Avenue. You can also visit Central Park or the numerous museums along New York’s Museum Mile — starting with the must-see Museum of Modern Art, a five-minute walk from the luxury hotel.
2. In a city filled with luxury hotels, it’s hard to impress us with a bathroom, but we think the rooms at The Peninsula New York have some of the most elegant and spacious in the city. Outfitted in white marble with black granite countertops, bathrooms feature a relaxing deep-soaking tub, separate shower and separate toilet. There’s also a flat-screen television and speakerphone system that lets you take calls while soaking.
3. We love high-tech gadgets, but not when they’re too complicated to use. Luckily, The Peninsula New York blends style and sophistication with convenience, making in-room technology accessible. In addition to staples like a flat-screen TV, a DVD player and an iPod docking station, you’ll find an easy-to-use bedside panel that controls the lights, music, temperature, privacy signs and television, all from the comfort of your bed.
4. There’s perhaps no better way to spend an afternoon than relaxing at the hotel in a chaise lounge, poolside. You’ll feel like you’re at the country club, with the added caveat of a view of Fifth Avenue from the 22nd floor of the hotel. The pool is heated to a warm 84 F, and the hotel provides you with armchairs, towels and pillows. In the summer, lounge on the sun deck — a rarity in New York.
5. Though you’ll find numerous fine dining options near the hotel, you don’t have to leave to find great food and drinks. At Clement, try the banana-pecan pancakes from the breakfast menu, Gravlax club sandwich for lunch, or the 120 day dry aged NY strip steak for dinner. Or head to Salon de Ning, the trendy rooftop lounge that takes its style cues from 1930s Shanghai, and order a signature Blueberry Sling cocktail, made with blueberry Pearl Vodka, Chambord black raspberry liqueur, sour mix, fresh mint leaves and club soda. It’s the perfect way to unwind at the luxury hotel.
1. The location! With neighbors like Central Park, the luxe shops of Fifth Avenue, dynamic restaurants, world-famous museums and theaters, The Peninsula New York is ideally located for both business and leisure travelers.
2. The Salon de Ning. This rooftop bar and terrace features stunning city views of Fifth Avenue and Central Park. During the warm weather season, the bar features two outdoor terraces. When the weather turns cooler, outdoor heaters keep guests comfortable on the terraces, or the year-round indoor bar offers a nice alternative. Undoubtedly, Salon de Ning is the best rooftop bar to enjoy a drink.
3. The family-friendliness. Our younger guests are able to enjoy the glass-enclosed pool, relax with child-sized robe and slippers and order from a kids’ menu, which has something for even the pickiest of eaters. A family ride in one of our Mini Coopers is memorable way to get around town.
4. The Five-Star Peninsula Spa by ESPA. It is truly a haven of relaxation. At over 35,000 square feet, the spa is the largest hotel spa in the city and offers a plethora of amenities. With 12 treatment rooms, including a private spa suite for couples, the spa’s amenities include men’s and women’s changing rooms with aromatherapy steam rooms, saunas, ice fountains and experience showers. An Asian Tea Lounge and men’s and women’s relaxation rooms cocoon guests after their treatments. The glass-enclosed pool, fitness center, daily group classes and seasonal sun terrace complete the wellness experience. Our experienced massage therapists and estheticians are the best in the city. We are especially known for our Deep Tissue Experience Ceremony, which is an amazing two-hour treatment that will leave you relaxed and refreshed. Try the Bamboo Harmonizer Massage that uses ESPA's innovative Triserum, paired with gliding and rolling techniques. This heavenly massage targets tense and stiff muscles and joints to relive muscular tension and firm and tone the skin.
5. The Sun Terrace. This summer the city was soaked in sun; our new Sun Terrace, wrapping around three sides of the 22nd floor was no exception. Hotel guests can relax on the Terrace’s loungers where they can sip on a fresh fruit smoothie, order from a light menu or request sun screen, cool towels and Evian mist from the all-day attendant.