Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star restaurant Per Se in Midtown Manhattan takes a few cues from its sister restaurant, The French Laundry in Napa Valley, including an exclusive and small dining room, seasonal, market-driven menus and exciting dishes from acclaimed chef Thomas Keller, who owns both Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star restaurants. Before you visit this New York establishment, here are a few things to know about Per Se:
1. Per Se's chef and owner Thomas Keller gained fame for his Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star restaurant, The French Laundry, in Napa Valley, California. Though he never attended culinary school, Keller worked as an apprentice under master chefs in France and the United States, and is now celebrated as one of the best chefs in the world. Keller runs eight restaurants and five bakeries, with locations in California, New York and Las Vegas.
2. Per Se is committed to using fresh, seasonal ingredients and changes its two tasting menus daily, so every dining experience will be unique. You'll never find the same menu twice.
3. The popular New York restaurant's prix fixe tasting menus offer intricate and delicious food prepared using French techniques — but come with a hefty price tag. Both the vegetable and chef's tasting menu cost $295, which includes the cost of service, but not wine or tax. If you're looking to indulge without quite the same splurge, we suggest the five-course, $185 lunch menu served on weekends. The salon area also offers an à la carte menu with many dishes in the $15 to $45 range.
4. You can make a reservation one month prior to the date you want to dine by calling the reservation line or through OpenTable. Reservations are required for the main dining room, though the more casual salon accepts walk-ins.
5. You should dress to impress in one of the best restaurants in New York, which boasts beautiful views of Columbus Circle and Central Park South. Gentlemen are required to wear jackets and ladies should choose similarly dressy garb. You'll be treated to outstanding service and a memorable dining experience that lasts at least three hours.