Answers from Our Experts (1)
Sometimes a meal is all about the setting. Here are five decidedly Newport food experiences you are sure to appreciate:
1. Castle Hill Inn Lawn. The sprawling lawn of Castle Hill Inn is an iconic Newport dining hangout. Open from Memorial Day to Columbus Day, the lawn is lined with picture-perfect Adirondack chairs for guests to behold the stunning views of Narragansett Bay while enjoying hickory-smoked chicken or a lobster roll. When in Newport, a trip to Castle Hill for food and cocktails alfresco is a must.
2. Lobster dinner and sunset sail. Seafood and sailing — what's more Newport than this combination? Enjoy a classic New England lobster bake dockside before hopping on the Schooner Aurora for a memorable sunset sail around the Harbor.
3. Flo's Clam Shack. This is a barebones, no-frills fried seafood shanty, and that's what we love about it. Order your food at the window (the line may be long on the weekends), pick it up yourself and enjoy. Flo's says it's "famous for clams since 1936," but it makes this list for its beautiful ocean view, too.
4. Newport Dinner Train. Hop aboard to experience Newport and its surrounding area on a 22-mile, 2.5-hour train excursion along Narragansett Bay. Newport Dinner Train is the only moving dinner train in the state, and offers special events like romantic evenings, murder mysteries and family nights.
5. The White Horse Tavern. This Colonial-era establishment boasts it has served America for more than 350 years, making it one of the oldest taverns in the nation. Its chefs are passionate about creating contemporary seafood dishes made from the freshest local ingredients, ensuring that foodies who love history will appreciate everything about the White Horse Tavern.