A personalized Nicaragua adventure
4 Villas / 4 Suites
Perched among the mountains in Nicaragua’s pristine Pacific countryside, Nekupe Sporting Resort and Retreat offers a 1,300-acre playground for travelers seeking adventure.
Careen through an off-road course in an ATV, mountain bike through leafy forest trails, maneuver high among the trees on the ropes courses, hike along lagoons and rivers to discover breathtaking vistas, take your best shot target shooting from 23 different ranges used by leading marksmen and more.
But you don’t need to participate in adrenaline-inducing exploits to enjoy this tranquil getaway. The intimate boutique hotel personalizes every itinerary, so it’s not a one-size-fits-all experience. In fact, you’ll be assigned your own ranger, specializing in your particular interests who will oversee your entire stay.
For more relaxing pursuits, take a cocktail class; tour the nature preserve and meet the rabbits, iguanas, pheasants, howler monkeys and more who call it home; practice your poses in mountaintop yoga session; sign up for a painting class; or get a massage at the spa.
Whatever you choose to do, most activities come free at this all-inclusive resort. Also included are four-course gourmet Nicaraguan meals at Don Alfredo’s that have a healthy bent — they are made with produce and herbs grown on the property’s own farm.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• Your ranger is even better than a butler. Each maps out an itinerary and accompanies you on all activities, doing everything from supplying you with water and sunscreen, to cheering you on during your ATV ride, to providing insider tips on the plant life and animals around you.
• You will never get bored at this Nicaragua hotel. There are so many activities, that you likely won’t conquer them all. You’ll start planning your return trip before you leave.
• With only four villas and four suites, Nekupe offers an intimate atmosphere.
• The expansive grounds beg for exploration. Plus, you’ll enjoy amazing views from your villa and various other points on the property.
• Prepare to eat well. The four-course menus change daily, but expect to feast on dishes like a refreshing gazpacho duo (half zucchini soup and half tomato), grilled chicken with Nicaraguan pork stuffing and a hearty surf ’n’ turf (a filet with a cold-water lobster tail).
Things to Know
• Nekupe is almost two hours from Augusto C. Sandino International Airport in Managua.
• Your ranger can arrange for an airport pickup and drop-off in one of the hotel’s roomy SUVs.
• Be sure to bring a pair of sneakers or hiking boots. Most of the activities don’t lend themselves to flip-flops or heels.
• If you don’t feel like trekking to Don Alfredo’s, opt to have dinner via room service, which also is complimentary.
• A larger spa building with five treatment rooms and sauna will debut in late 2017. The new spa will customize everything from your welcome drink to the music and lights.
• The villas at the luxury hotel have photos of the grounds and colorful local woven art adorning the cream walls, wood furniture and stone floors. In-room Nicaragua nature books, big-screen Samsung TVs and iPads will keep you busy when you’re indoors.
• Every villa comes with an immense terrace where you can kick back on a sofa with an ottoman or sit at the dining table and admire sweeping panoramas of Mombacho Volcano.
• The white-stone-tiled bathroom has a separate rain shower stall and a deep-soaking tub that peeks out over the treetops.
• Book a suite in La Residencia Doña Theresita, or reserve the whole four-bedroom residence for a luxurious stay. The chic La Residencia includes a personal chef, two pools, two dining areas and fully equipped kitchens, a media room with a large poker table, a bar and suites with their own terraces and bathrooms with soaking tubs.
• The largest suites in La Residencia are the Roble Grand and Caoba Grand. Both share a living space, pool and wooden deck that’s big enough to host a sizable party.
• Climb Nekupe’s “Stairway to Heaven.” The 45-minute hike lets you pause to explore the local flora, or make it a brisk trek up the well-maintained paths to the hilltop outlook that lives up to its name. From this vantage point, take in most of the property, including the onsite church, and the mountains and volcanoes beyond.
• First-timers and marksmen alike should visit the shooting ranges to try a host of pistols, rifles and shotguns. The former will appreciate the experienced, patient instructors and the latter will like the challenging tactical range with a running mechanical boar and the sporting clay by esteemed sport shooter John Higgins.
• Rev up for off-road ATV rides that will have you splashing through mud, speeding through forests and lurching through bumpy terrain.
• Take the saddle of one Nekupe’s 10 well-trained horses for a relaxing ride through a shady forest of towering teak trees. You’ll trot up to scenic spots, including a lookout point with a striking view of two volcanoes.
• One of the most popular offerings, the cocktail class teaches you how to make some of the resort’s top tipples. We will be replicating the tropical, slightly sweet Nekupe Passion (passion fruit, coconut cream, rum) at our next dinner party.