Answers from Our Experts (1)
You’ll find plenty of delicious plates at Andrea, located at The Resort at Pelican Hill on the Newport coast of California, but here are our favorite things to order:
1. Pasta. It’s made fresh daily with the finest Italian ingredients in a in a special pasta-making room that’s set to 68 degrees F. Our favorite on a recent visit was the saffron-flavored tagliolini with a lightly spiced king crab ragout, but for something a little richer, try the ricotta agnolotti with quail ragout, Marsala and aged Pecorino Romano.
2. Roasted Snake River beef with bone marrow. Another specialty by chefs Jean-Pierre Dubray and Luigi Fineo, this hearty entrée showcases delicious steak from the Wagyu-style cattle producer paired with a rustic herb sauce.
3. Risotto. When we dined at Andrea, the risotto came loaded with white asparagus and truffles, although the additions do change according to the season. Served tableside, it’s finished inside a giant wheel of aged Parmigiano-Reggiano before the waiters shave the fresh fungi on top; it’s a sight to see and a treat to eat.
4. Roasted octopus with polenta. Octopus here is as tender as can be, paired with creamy cornmeal and garnished with a corn-and-oregano salad.
5. Gelato. Like the pasta, Andrea’s Italian-style ice creams and sorbets are prepared fresh every day with only the best seasonal fruit and ingredients, like lavender honey and sweet local strawberries.