Answers from Our Experts (1)
Resort towns like Park City tend to get a rap for being expensive. Those looking to burn through Benjamins can certainly do that here, but there are definitely ways to enjoy this picturesque destination on a budget. Here’s are our list of the best five free things to do in Park City:
1. Skate at City Park. Forget about ice skating or roller skating. At Park City’s eponymous park, it’s all about skate boarding. The recreational area is home to a top-of-the-line skateboard park with a street course, beginning bowl, half pipe and deep bowls. Admission is free but B.Y.O.B — bring your own board.
2. Ride the bus. Park City is known for its free public transit system, with buses that scoot visitors around town and a Historic Main Street Trolley for those who don’t want to hoof it up and down the steep street. The fleet runs on biodiesel, so it saves you cash and is good for the environment too.
3. Stroll Main Street. Park City’s Historic Main Street is full of locally owned stores and galleries oozing with character. It’s a great place to window shop and get some exercise too, as you wander up and down the charming street. Stop at Dolly’s Bookstore, tucked behind Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, to page through books and pet the cats that call the establishment home.
4. Visit Alf Engen Ski Museum. This Utah Olympic Park museum details the rich alpine history of the Park City area. Free, interactive exhibits like the Alpine Speed race course and Ski Action Theatre take you from spectator to participant. On the weekends, the park often hosts free exhibition shows.
5. Listen to live music. During the summer, Canyons Resort hosts a free Summer Concert Series on Saturday evenings. Ride the Cabriolet lift to the outdoor amphitheater and bring a picnic to enjoy while you wait for the sound of music.