Answers from Our Experts (1)
Portland’s Hotel deLuxe is a unique boutique hotel with a style all its own. Where else can you find Old Hollywood-inspired décor, an artistic vibe and modern day amenities? Read on to see how we describe the unique style at this Forbes Travel Guide Recommended hotel:
1. Glamorous. Once you’re through the stately entrance doors, you’ll notice the lobby’s high, vaulted ceilings with elaborate crown moldings, Art Deco details and gold and mirrored accents.
2. Elegant. While glamour is part of the picture at Hotel deLuxe, elegance is too — the common areas are never overdone with gilt details, but rather reflect a tasteful, timeless sophistication. Nowhere is that more apparent than at Gracie, the signature restaurant. Here, you will find marble topped tables, luxe draperies, baguettes and hanging chandeliers.
3. Inviting. The guest rooms are far from cold at this luxury hotel. Walls are painted a cheery yellow and spaces are filled with subdued green and blue accents. The historic building boasts crown moldings painted a bright white, and there are large picture windows that look out over downtown and beyond.
4. Retro. There’s no question Hotel deLuxe has a distinct retro vibe. In fact, all of the design elements are based on the decorative arts and architectural features from the 1920s to the 1940s. In the lobby you’ll see a large flat-panel image display showing movie screen stills from this time period; in the hallways and guest rooms you’ll see prints of vintage photos of famous screen stars. The Driftwood Room bar is the quintessential throwback — the clubby, dark space is all 1950s cocktail lounge and has a sultry attitude to match.
5. Comfortable. Sure, you’ll find high style at Hotel deLuxe, but you’ll also feel completely at ease. The hotel rooms are equipped with cushy beds (swathed in crisp white linens) and comfortable seating with rich fabrics and thick cushions. You can also pick the pillow of your choice from the in-room pillow menu.