Answers from Our Experts (1)
Here’s a lesser-known fact about Providence: the food scene is fantastic. Since Providence sits near Boston and New York, most travelers overlook this small city when it comes to eating, but real foodies know where to find the real gems. Check out Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the five best places to eat in Providence:
1. Camille’s. Located in Providence’s Federal Hill neighborhood, Camille’s has been the spot for Italian food since 1914. Favorites include champagne risotto with shrimp and asparagus, as well as homemade pastas. Finish your night with a glass of fine grappa.
2. Hemenway’s. If you’re seeking seafood in Providence, look no further than Hemenway’s, located just off the river in downtown Providence. It has some of the best seafood dishes in the city. One tip: Hemenway’s serves the traditional New England version of clam chowder — made with cream, bacon and potatoes — so save room for a hearty bite.
3. CAV. This contemporary American restaurant’s draw is more for its bohemian atmosphere than anything else, but it has top-notch, award-winning food to boot. CAV is located in an old antiques shop in the jewelry district, and makes for an incredibly cozy and romantic dinner.
4. Pane e Vino. Often lauded as one of Rhode Island’s best, this restaurant serves rustic Italian cuisine in a quaint setting. Plus, you’ll get to taste some of the area’s best ingredients, since most of the dishes are made from local, sustainable and all-natural goods.
5. Seasons. This Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star restaurant is located inside the Ocean House resort, which is about an hour outside of Providence in Watch Hill. It’s known for its fresh farm-to-table fare, so grab a seat at the chef’s table to watch the dishes on the menu come to life — you might even get a few samples of other menu items.