Answers from Our Experts (1)
Santorini is the place to have the best island dining experience. Most restaurants can’t help but have a great view — whether it’s of the sea, the quaint villages or the breathtaking caldera. Here are five Forbes Travel Guide-recommended spots:
1. Metaxi Mas. Located in the quiet village of Exo Gonia, this cozy Greek taverna welcomes you with raki (or tsipouro, hard liquor made from leftover grapes), olives and traditional bread rusks. Locals come here for its home-style Cretan dishes.
2. Aktaion. Have a meal with a superb view of the caldera at the island’s oldest tavern in the heart of Firostefani. The white eggplant is excellent, and you can finish off with your meal with a slice of lemon pie.
3. Koukoumavlos. The dining terrace at Koukoumavlos in Fira overlooks the caldera. Enjoy the view as you choose from the inventive yet delectable Mediterranean-fusion menu.
4. 1800. This restaurant in Oia is an old Santorini mansion that dates back to 1845. Order off its acclaimed menu of Mediterranean dishes as you enjoy the views of the caldera.
5. Vanilia. Located in a white stone house in Firostefani, Vanilia offers Greek dishes and wines that are just as impressive as the sea views. Try its version of saganaki, a Greek fried cheese appetizer with honey and poppy seeds.