Answers from Our Experts (1)
Pudong Shangri-La offers plenty of amenities to make you smile. Here are our picks for the five best at the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel:
1. The 24-hour gym. When you’re spending all day in meetings or out sightseeing, it can be hard to squeeze in a workout. Shangri-La’s 24-hour gym makes it easier with Life Fitness treadmills, ellipticals, upright and recumbent bikes and stair-climbers, as well as free weights and Hammer Strength weight-training equipment. The gym also has a fully loaded locker room with its own relaxation area.
2. Location. The luxury hotel is right across from the dumbbell-shaped Oriental Pearl Tower and around the corner from Shanghai World Financial Center, the city’s tallest building, which is home to an observation deck that’s built for picture-taking.
3. Restaurants. Pudong Shangri-La has six diverse eateries: Sleek Japanese spot Nadaman and its more casual sibling Sushi by Nadaman; Chinese-focused Gui Hua Lou and Fook Lam Moon; and French fine-dining option Jade on 36. Families will want to head to all-day dining restaurant Yi Café, which has an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink breakfast buffet with stations for dim sum, eggs, smoothies (try the coconut), waffles and two tables full of desserts. We spied the pastry chefs there making lollipops one morning.
4. The welcome amenity. After check-in, a hotel staff member came to our room with a maroon-and-gold fabric case. When we lifted the top, there was a ceramic white teapot with a curved bamboo handle nestled in the box. It was filled with a subtle Chinese tea along with two matching cups. A steaming cup of tea was a nice way to unwind after a long flight.
5. Service. The staff at the Shanghai hotel is warm, knowledgeable and always available, whether you need help booking a tour or can’t find the subway station.