Answers from Our Experts (1)
Pudong Shangri-La, Shanghai is an enormous Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel in Lujiazui, Shanghai’s central business district. Here are our five favorite things about it:
1. The location. Pudong Shangri-La is half a block from a Metro station, a quick walk to the observation deck at Shanghai World Financial Center (the city’s tallest building) and across the street from two malls that house a bevy of restaurants.
2. The food. While we encourage you to get out try all the local restaurants, Shangri-La’s onsite spots are also top notch. Yi Café’s buffet is great for families — try to prevent the kids from loading up on housemade lollipops and other treats laid out on two dessert tables. Jade on 36 offers refined French fare with sweeping views, Gui Hua Lou serves four types of Chinese food in an upscale setting and Fook Lam Moon turns out contemporary Southern Chinese cuisine in a formal dining space.
3. The spa. At each Shangri-La location, you’ll find the hotel brand’s signature CHI, The Spa. You might have a hard time peeling yourself off the massage table after the CHI Skin Polish, where your body is sloughed with a scrub of mineral salts and citrus oil and slathered with cardamom lotion.
4. The attention to detail. The luxury hotel offers pleasant little surprises throughout your trip. In the hallways, porcelain trays of green apples are replenished daily in case you need a quick snack on the go. Some of the rooms come with elegant brown boxes containing a deck of cards and a mini mahjong set. Ladies will appreciate that the bathroom amenities include a thick black hair tie — those always seem to get lost during travels. These little touches amount to a lot.
5. The service. The Shangri-La staff is attentive and warm without being overly formal. Staff members are there when you need them and disappear when you don’t.