Answers from Our Experts (1)
Famous for its stunning landscape (think rainforests and mountains), the activities that the backdrop provides are the true charm of a visit to St. Lucia. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ favorite ways to enjoy the island:
1. Water sports. The Caribbean Sea offers an array of water activities, from snorkeling and diving to windsurfing and paddleboarding. Many resorts have an activity desk to arrange outings or hotel staff can set you up with a local tour company.
2. Whale and wildlife watching. St. Lucia is one of the leading whale-watching sites in the Caribbean Sea, and is home to countless other marine animals. More than 20 species are regularly spotted throughout the year, including humpback, pilot and sperm whales as well as spinning and spotted dolphins.
3. Rainforest. Inland, the rainforest offers up thick foliage, tropical waterfalls and breathtaking vistas. Experienced hikers can summit the famous Gros Piton mountain for the highest view of the island. You’ll need a guide to enter the restricted rainforest region, so sign up for a guided tour with one of the island’s tour operators.
4. Fish fry. Leave the resort and eat like a local at one of the island’s countless fish fries. Many towns — especially those on the coast — have one each week, and your hotel can let you know when and where they are happening.
5. Sunset cruise. Complete with food, drinks and plenty of dancing, an evening cruise is the perfect way to watch the sun set — and snap some pics of the Pitons while you’re at it.