Answers from Our Experts (1)
For the more adventurous set, Tacoma offers certain food experiences that go a step beyond your typical meal at a restaurant. Here is the Forbes Travel Guide editors’ list of the five best Tacoma food experiences:
1. Dine on the farmers market special at BITE. During the farmers market season, chef Matt Stickle hand selects the freshest local ingredients from the Tacoma Farmers Markets and creates specials such as blackberry honey glazed chicken or a Copper River salmon sandwich that bring the flavors of the Pacific Northwest to your plate.
2. Take in the view at Stanley and Seafort’s. Looking over downtown Tacoma and Commencement Bay, enjoy panoramic views along with Stanley and Seafort’s classic steak and seafood dishes and a glass of Washington wine.
3. Take a cooking class at Primo Grill. Learn how to create the different flavors of the world at home alongside one of Tacoma’s best chefs, Charlie McManus, or a local guest chef. Using fresh, local ingredients, chef McManus’s classes guide you through the steps to create a delicious meal, all while dining on the results.
4. Experience the tableside preparations at El Gaucho. Let the skilled servers at El Gaucho create part show, part culinary masterpieces as you enjoy their tableside preparations of Caesar salad and hand-carved Chateaubriand, all finished with flaming bananas Foster or cherries jubilee.
5. Sample the small plates at 1022 South. Enjoy the hip vibe of 1022 South in Tacoma’s Hilltop neighborhood. With an inventive craft cocktail in hand, nosh on the variety of small plates, including fava bean hummus, house pickled vegetables, and a selection of charcuterie and local cheese.