Answers from Our Experts (1)
With Tacoma’s charming combination of outdoor beauty and world-class attractions, you won’t be at a loss for things to do during a visit. Here our Forbes Travel Guide editors have rounded up the five best things to see and do in Tacoma:
1. Golf, walk or run Chambers Bay. Perfect your swing at this scenic 18-hole golf course overlooking the Puget Sound and Olympic Mountains. As the home of the 2015 U.S. Open, the course is a unique opportunity to play these world-class holes. Surrounded by miles of paved trails and large public grassy areas, Chambers Bay is a great place to enjoy a leisurely walk, a heart-pumping run, or romantic picnic.
2. Experience the Museum of Glass. For its unique architecture, carefully selected exhibitions and spectacular Chihuly Bridge of Glass, this world-renowned museum is second to none. Watch world-class glass artists blow intricate glass pieces in the museum’s hot shop — the largest in the world. Before you leave, be sure to stroll along the Thea Foss Waterway promenade and view the impressive outdoor installations.
3. Celebrate the love of the automobile at LeMay-America’s Car Museum. This four-story, 165,000-square-foot museum houses the automobiles of Harold LeMay, the largest private collection in the world, with over 3,000 cars. Rotating exhibits feature auto collections ranging from luxurious Ferraris and speedy Indy cars to a turn of the century Cadillac and 1983 DeLorean.
4. Take a glass blowing class at Tacoma Glassblowing Studio. For a new experience, both novice and skilled glassblowers are invited to take private or group classes and learn to blow glass from the pros. Create items like colorful garden art, birdfeeders or ornaments and bring them home as special mementos and memories from your trip.
5. Stroll through the Tacoma Art Museum. View exhibits ranging from Northwest artists to European painting to sculpture to Western American art. A walk through the permanent collection of world-renowned glass artist and Tacoma native Dale Chihuly’s works offers a truly memorable experience.