Answers from Our Experts (1)
Whether you stay one night or one week, there are many great resorts in Tahiti to choose from. Unlike the islands of Moorea and Bora Bora, overwater bungalows are not common here. Since Tahiti is mostly a stopover island, you’ll find hotels that cater more to business travelers and short-term guests than megaresorts with an array of activities. Still, most resorts on Tahiti feature beautiful beaches and a distinct tropical allure. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ picks for the best places to stay in Tahiti.
1. The InterContinental Tahiti Resort. This full-service hotel is the largest luxury resort on the island. Located five minutes from the airport, it's also the most convenient. Despite its proximity to downtown, the hotel has the feel of a Polynesian oasis and some of the best views in Tahiti. The room décor isn't ultra modern, but this only adds to its traditional Polynesian charm.
2. Le Méridien Tahiti. This is one of the only luxury hotels on Tahiti with overwater bungalows (the InterContinental Tahiti Resort is the other). Rooms are a blend of contemporary French-influenced style with tropical touches. Each room features a private deck with incredible views of Tahiti's sister island, Moorea.
3. The Manava Suite Resort Tahiti. This is one of the newest resorts on the island, with a modern design with contemporary furnishings. The rooms feature an in-suite kitchenette and complimentary Wi-Fi, making this a popular choice for both families and business travelers. With the largest infinity pool on Tahiti, it's the perfect place to unwind after a long flight.
4. Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti. Located on the east side of the island, the Radisson Plaza Resort Tahiti is situated on a gorgeous black sand beach. Although it's slightly farther away from the airport than the other resorts, the prime setting on Lafayette Beach is a fair trade. The hotel has a more secluded feel while still offering easy access to downtown Papeete.
5. Hotel Tahiti Nui. Hotel Tahiti Nui is the newest hotel on the island. It boasts a clean, modern design with a young and contemporary atmosphere. Located in the heart of downtown Papeete, it is not a shorefront hotel like the other resorts in Tahiti. Instead, this hotel puts you right in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the city, providing convenient access to the shops, restaurants, nightlife and other downtown attractions.