A refreshed Victorian classic
20 Rooms / 12 Suites
The Adelphi Hotel first opened July 5, 1877, when Saratoga Springs was at the height of its fame as a booming summer resort town. Tourists flocked to Spa City for its health-boosting natural springs, thoroughbred gambling at the Saratoga Race Course and several monumental luxury hotels — some the largest in the world at that time.
Today, they have another reason to come. The four-floor Adelphi, completely renovated and newly reopened as of October 2017, is the last remaining Grand Victorian hotel in Saratoga and once more at the leading edge of luxury.
Balancing a vibrant history with state-of-the-art amenities, turn-of-the-century décor with modern comforts, the hotel is an invitation to make yourself at home in the charming Upstate New York town.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• Morrissey’s, named for local gambling legend and boxing champ John Morrissey, is a restaurant and bar off of the lobby that serves up cocktails, small plates and dishes from the raw bar. If seating near the bar is full, grab a spot in the lobby — you’ll be served there.
• The boutique hotel is designed to feel warm and homey, and encourages guests and locals alike to make themselves comfortable in the common areas — the drawing room for complimentary morning coffee or the lobby when Morrissey’s gets busy.
• From reclaimed period furniture to the original wooden bannister and elaborate mural-sized mirrors, The Adelphi salvaged as much as possible from the original building and put them in surprising places. The decorative wall behind the reception desk showcases original crystal ashtrays and platters, and an old phone booth in the lobby begs for selfies.
Things to Know
• Serving breakfast and dinner, The Blue Hen will open around mid-November. In the meantime, help yourself to a continental breakfast set up on the counter at Morrissey’s. Think yogurt and fruit cups, fruit, juice, coffee, tea, muesli and a smattering of bagels, croissants and other baked goods.
• For the first time in its history, The Adelphi will be open all year round. Summer racing season — the stretch from mid-July to Labor Day when Saratoga Race Course is open — will book up fast.
• A by-reservation dining room called the Wine Cellar is located below the lobby level. Seating 16, the room will be available to book for private events in the near future.
• This pet-friendly hotel treats dogs to top-notch service during their stay with special beds, collars, leashes and more.
• To really take in the small-town vibe, request a Broadway-view room from which you can look out over the main drag at quaint local shops and people strolling along the wide sidewalks.
• All rooms feature a sumptuous color scheme of creamy neutrals with pops of elegant deep blue, gold and silver. Modern pieces, like clear acrylic accent tables, add just enough flair to the stately, high-ceilinged rooms to balance the reclaimed furniture and historical books placed on shelves.
• The high-tech rooms feature InnSpire TV, smart programming that, for instance, allows guests to hook up their own Netflix account; master controls for motorized blinds and shades; and in the bathroom, a remote-controlled, heated toilet seat with the option for a wash-and-dry bidet.
• Gratis in-room snacks include small bags of munchies, to-die-for macarons and, to accompany turndown service, sweet little brownie squares — all made in-house daily. Champagne, Saratoga water and soda are stocked in the complimentary mini-bar.
• Each bed is made with Italian linens and features a tensile topper crafted from eucalyptus to help regulate body heat. Medium down pillows are on beds when you arrive, but soft, firm and hypoallergenic varieties are available, if you so prefer. All in-room couches have a pullout bed.
• Incredibly spacious regardless of room size, the hotel’s bathrooms are luxurious throughout with plush bathmats, robes and slippers, a towel warmer and heated floors. The ample glass-walled showers feature a range of showerhead options and French lavender-scented Red Flower bath products are stocked in a generous four-ounce size.
• Our favorite rooms are The Travers and The Whitney, oversized second-floor, Broadway-view suites that include access to a private veranda. Situated between the suites is the Library, which you can rent along with one or both of the adjacent rooms.
• Cruise around town on gold bicycles the luxury hotel makes available for guests. Situated at the heart of Saratoga, The Adelphi is a quick ride from just about any point of note, including Congress Park, the Beekman Street Arts District and Caroline Street.
• Until the hotel’s own spa and fitness center open, you will receive complimentary day passes to Vent, a nearby workout studio that hosts classes mixing cardio, weights and boxing.
• A sprawling green space, The Adelphi Gardens, is planned for spring 2018. You can sit, walk or take a quiet moment when it opens.