A cluster of cottages, restored barns and a circa-1860s house make up Grace White Barn Inn & Spa, a quaint spot on the coast of Maine.
The charming rooms and suites are decorated with antiques and feature wood-burning fireplaces, whirlpool tubs, and flat-screen TVs.
Simple pleasures here include relaxing by the stone swimming pool, riding a bike along the coast, experiencing a spa treatment and having afternoon tea by the fire in the comfortable sitting room.
The inn has one of the region’s most acclaimed restaurants, which serves New England cuisine in a rustic, candlelit setting.
Our Inspector's Highlights
• Grace White Barn Inn & Spa is without a doubt a destination for excellence in service — the staff is simultaneously delightful, knowledgeable and efficient
• The White Barn Inn Restaurant is a must. The Five-Star restaurant is the perfect spot for a sophisticated, New England-centric meal, crafted by culinary wizard chef Derek Bissonnette.
• This is an intimate and quiet inn with lush bedding, large tubs and fireplaces, so bring your loved one. Families are welcome, but those with smaller children (12 and younger) are better suited in the offsite cottages.
• The Four-Star spa adds another comfy layer of relaxation with treatments like a light-of-the-moon plunge, a fizz of marine pebbles infused with mandarin orange and lemon essential oils.
• The deep sense of place is what makes Grace White Barn Inn & Spa different from other hotels. New England oozes with charm and her rugged coastline is like no other — intoxicatingly beautiful, ever-changing with the seasons and brimming with decades of history.
Things to Know
• Located 1.5 hours north of Boston and 30 minutes south of Portland, Maine, Grace White Barn Inn & Spa hugs the southern Maine coastline along a quiet stretch of the Kennebunk River.
• The luxury hotel is within minutes of the village of Kennebunk and its year-round outdoor activities, shopping, art galleries, restaurants and museums.
• Be sure to check out the Stellar Cellar Series offered on the first Saturday of every month at the idyllic inn. From cheese making to crafting the perfect cocktail, the culinary team teaches a new technique each month.
• In the main and garden buildings, most rooms are traditional in style and spacious with a queen-sized bed and roomy bathroom.
• Housed in a refurbished carriage house, May’s annex offers spacious suites.
• For maximum space and privacy, May’s cottage on the main property is a freestanding building about the size of most suites and just down the road, the inn offers four cottages along the Kennebunk River.
• A New England classic, The White Barn Inn Restaurant — the charming candlelit space inside Grace White Barn Inn & Spa — is bedecked with fresh flowers and white linen-topped tables.
• Chef Derek Bissonnette’s four-course prix fixe menu changes weekly, highlighting seafood from Maine’s waters as well as native game and poultry.
• The vast wine selection complements the cuisine, and a rolling cheese cart offers some of the best local artisans’ products.
• Grace White Barn Bistro offers New England classics in a casual setting, encompassing a restored barn dating from the 1820s. The Bistro features a high-end spin on a selection of casual regional favorites such as oysters on the half shell, lobster pizza, and surf and turf.