Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Kennebunks are not only for adults — there’s plenty to do with kids in this charming coastal Maine area, too. And forget the iPads, video games, and electronics — vacationing in Maine is about the simple things. Here our five great things to do with kids in Kennebunk:
1. Whale watching. Take a whale watching tour and introduce your kids to these enormous mammals. Whales migrate north in the summer months, so you’re likely to see some these beautiful creatures off the Maine coast in late summer.
2. Sailing. Teach your kids to sail, or plan a chartered sailing trip in the calm waters off the coast. Whether you’re a sailing fanatic or rather new to the game, this is a great activity for the whole family.
3. Hiking. Grab a map and your camera, pack a picnic, and head out on one of the glorious trails around Kennebunk. Your hotel concierge will be able to choose a path that’s appropriate for every ability levels.
4. Biking. You can easily rent a bike (try Cape-Able Bike Shop for a cruiser or mountain bike) and pedal around town or around the gorgeous back roads just outside of town.
5. Beach. You can’t go wrong with a day at the beach. Head to Kennebunk Beach with a bucket for some seashell and sea glass gathering, and pack a picnic to enjoy a day on the shore. Remember: New England beaches are notoriously rocky, including those in Kennebunk, so be sure to bring sturdy shoes or flip-flops with you.