Answers from Our Experts (1)
In Kennebunk time doesn’t stand still, but it moves at a slow pace so that you can kickback and relax rather than run from activity to activity. Here are our picks for the five best things to see and do in Kennebunk:
1. Art galleries. Kennebunk is filled with art galleries and studios, showcasing the best of what local artists have to offer. Walk around the galleries in Kennebunk or plan a private viewing at one around town. During the summer, art shows and artist debuts take place in Kennebunkport on various evenings.
2. Whale watching. Maine serves as a prime spot to whale watch as the giant mammals migrate up north during the summer. Book a whale watching tour to see some of the creatures up close. Some whale species even call the northern waters home year-round and you can watch for whales regardless of the time of year.
3. Fishing. An early morning on the lake sets the perfect mood for a day in Maine. Fishing is a way of life here — especially when it comes to lobsters. There are various fishing charters you can book while you’re here, including deep-sea fishing. Venture out to catch dinner or simply get a glimpse into the typical day of a fisherman.
4. Sailing. There’s no better way to see the Maine coast than by boat. From Kennebunkport you can book sailing charters or take a boat out on your own (sailing credentials required, of course). Pack a picnic and some extra SPF, and head out into the calm Maine waters for a day at sea.
5. Shopping. Known as the downtown of Kennebunk, Kennebunkport is a quaint little district filled with boutiques, restaurants, art galleries and souvenir shops. Situated on the harbor, Kennebunkport is the best place for watching the sunset with a cocktail — preferably a gin and tonic — in hand.