Answers from Our Experts (2)
You’ll find Wellington filled with delicious food experiences, from pub food and coffee to beers and ethnic fare. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ picks for the five best Wellington food experiences.
1. Mixed Vegetarian Kebab. Wellington is full of kebab shops for late-night or on-the-go dining. Most offer this regional specialty you won't find in Auckland, with falafel, mujvar, carrot fritters and zucchini fritters in a huge pita, with your choice of toppings and sauces.
2. Flat White. Wellington's cafe scene is often credited with perfecting the flat white — an espresso and milk drink similar to a latte. The honor of “best flat white” changes cafes constantly, as baristas take part in regular competitions, but you can't go wrong anywhere.
3. A Pint at the Pub. It would be a shame to miss out on the authentic pub experience while you’re in Wellington. The Backbencher is a famous pub across from Parliament that serves up pints, politically themed fare like kumara chips and fried whitefish along with their famous puppets caricatures of political figures.
4. Whittaker's Chocolate. Founded in 1896, this chocolatier in nearby Porirua sells its many varieties of chocolate throughout Wellington, and deserves its institution status. Try the milk chocolate with kiwifruit pieces, or the dark chocolate with macadamia nuts.
5. Fresh Kiwifruit. One of the best (and simplest) food experiences anywhere in New Zealand is to try all three varieties of kiwifruit - the familiar green, plus the sweeter yellow, and the grape-size kiwi berries — while they're fresh. Most fruit markets or grocers in Wellington will have them all in season.