Answers from Our Experts (1)
You’ll want to come home with souvenirs and gifts from your trip to this picturesque Swiss city. Here are Forbes Travel Guide editors’ picks of the best things to bring home from Zurich.
1. Chocolate. It may be obvious, but there’s no denying that Swiss chocolate is some of the best in the world. However, rather than picking up the traditional travel memento like a Toblerone, head to the small independent chocolatiers on Bahnhofstrasse for a take-away taste of chocolate heaven.
2. Handicrafts. The Swiss are world-renowned at making timepieces, so it’s not surprising that cuckoo clocks are popular purchases here. While cuckoo clocks did originate in Germany, the chalet style is credited to Switzerland, so look for this kind if you want an authentically Swiss souvenir. Other Swiss handicrafts that make good souvenirs are hand-carved wooden toys, hand-blown glassware and unique handcrafted furnishings. Or how about a handmade fondue pot?
3. Jewelry. Swiss watches are well known around the world, and you can pick up some stunning examples in Zurich (from affordable Swatches to high-end Rolexes, plus several less international brands). The city is also renowned for its extraordinary earrings, bracelets, brooches and cufflinks.
4. Swiss Army knife. There’s nowhere better to pick up a genuine, multi-purpose Army knife. This pocket tool dates back to 1897, when the Victorinox Company registered the MultiTool design. Its variety of tools that include scissors, mini saw and a corkscrew are so useful, Swiss Army Knives are part of the gear astronauts take to space.
5. Clothes. Switzerland may not be one of the world’s great fashion capitals, but Bahnhofstrasse is one of the world’s great fashion streets. So whether you’re looking for a crystal-studded ball gown, a perfectly cut tuxedo, fancy designer jeans or just a high-end little black dress, you’ll find it on Zurich’s most fashionable street.