Answers from Our Experts (1)
The 16 municipalities of Algarve each offer a unique dining experience. Given the proximity to the sea and temperate weather, many Algarve restaurants offer diners amazingly fresh seafood and top views of the ocean. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the five best places to eat in Algarve:
1. Dom Carlos Restaurant. Located in Albufeira, Dom Carlos Restaurant is the perfect spot for an intimate night out. Owners Peter and Ana make every diner feel like a VIP and go into great detail when explaining the menu offerings. Make reservations and enjoy the five-course menu that includes classic Portuguese fare, such as cod and stewed steak.
2. Couleur France. A five-course prix fixe menu at Couleur France will get you some of the finest dining Algarve has to offer. Located in Almancil, this modern restaurant serves Mediterranean food with a twist. It’s a little off the beaten path but well worth the venture for a menu that starts with melt-in-your-mouth steak and an impressive wine list.
3. Cabana Fresca. A perfect combination of top-notch food and scenery, Cabana Fresca offers guests fresh seafood right on the ocean. Located on Fisherman’s Beach, the restaurant features enticing menu options like paella, fish soup and the popular chicken piri-piri.
4. Le Marquis. Located in the hills of Faro, Le Marquis offers impeccable food in a relaxed environment — far from the more tourist-heavy areas. When the weather permits, guests can sit outside and enjoy fare like smoked scallops and spinach soup.
5. O Luis Restaurante Bar. Located in Alvor, this family-friendly restaurant sits right on the beach. Diners can indulge in fresh fish cooked to order while taking in the scenery of the Portuguese coast. Visit at sunset for dinner with a view.