Answers from Our Experts (1)
From sailing on the Chesapeake Bay to playing pirate, this city has a knack for keeping kids entertained. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the five best things to do with children in Annapolis:
1. Discover Chesapeake Bay. Take one of the several different sightseeing cruises and learn about the culture of Annapolis. Choose from a selection of narrated boat tours that sail around Annapolis Harbor, the United States Naval Academy, the Old Annapolis neighborhood and the Thomas Point Lighthouse.
2. Feast on blue crabs. You and the kids will enjoy eating on this local delicacy. Grab a table at Jimmy Cantler’s Riverside Inn for some steamed crabs in a setting that doesn’t get much more Annapolis — Cantler’s overlooks a creek off the Magothy River.
3. Sail a pirate ship. Aboard the Sea Gypsy, Pirate Adventures on the Chesapeake sends your kids on a treasure hunt set off by a mysterious message in a bottle. Face painting, water-squirting canons and costumes are part of the fun, too.
4. Explore Quiet Waters Park. Whether the weather is warm or chilly, kids can play at this greenbelt overlooking an inlet of Chesapeake Bay. Ice skate on the park’s outdoor rink in wintertime, or enjoy the giant playground and woods in summer. On a nice day, pack a picnic and head to the promenade that overlooks the South River.
5. Take a colonial tour. Annapolis is teeming with history and there’s no better way to learn about it than a tour with a guide who speaks in a British accent and is clad in authentic colonial garb. You’ll walk through the United States Naval Academy and the historic downtown, passing storied historical homes along the way.