Answers from Our Experts (2)
Only recently has comfort food and kid-friendly fare made a comeback in Aspen. Before that, super-expensive, ultra-gourmet restaurants made the dining scene decidedly unfriendly for families. Here are our picks for the five best restaurants in town for the short set:
1. Boogie’s. Boogie’s has always been a family favorite, with its ’50s diner décor and kid-centric menu that offers everything from burgers and fries to matzo ball soup.
2. New York Pizza. You won’t have to chastise your child to eat his dinner at this funky-cool restaurant — he’ll devour a fat slice of New York Pizza’s cheese pie.
3. CP Burger. A newcomer to the scene is CP Burger, a fun, fast-paced burger and salad joint. It just happens to be located on a skating rink, which is converted into a mini-golf course in the summer. Better yet, with healthy menu items such as kale salad and tuna burgers, parents like it, too.
4. Little Annie's. It's known for its comfort food, red-and-white-checkered table cloths and super laid-back vibe. So you won’t have to worry about your fussy kids disturbing other diners. Kids love the Tootsie Rolls that come as a special treat with the bill.
5. Hickory House. You don’t have to be a kid to appreciate the world-famous barbecue at the Hickory House, or to enjoy getting down and dirty with some finger-licking good ribs. But kids do love making a mess of the delicious grub.
By and large, Aspen is a low-key town where children would be welcome in any dining establishment. Even the most up-scale of restaurants offers kids menus. Montagna at the Little Nell offers kid-friendly plates, most of which feature local ingredients. Another favorite with the kids is Boogie’s, which features milkshakes and other diner fare, as well as walls full of diner memorabilia. Little Annie’s Eating House is an Aspen institution and a kid-favorite for burgers and fries. The Limelight Lounge (located at the Limelight Lodge) is now serving light Italian fare, and kids love their pepperoni pizzas cooked in the flaming pizza oven. For an exciting meal accessed by a snowcat, enjoy dinner at the Lynn Britt Cabin at Snowmass.