Answers from Our Experts (1)
Whether you are hitting the casinos or lounging on the beach, you’ll find plenty to do in Atlantic City. With a slew of daytime activities and even more nighttime diversions, there’s something for nearly everyone. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for five best things to see and do in Atlantic City:
1. Soak up the sun. Unlike many beaches on the Jersey Shore, those in Atlantic City are free and don’t require badges to lounge in the sun. The wide beaches get crowded come summertime, when the warm weather draws beachgoers to the sand. If you’re looking to surf, head to one of the three designated surfing beaches — Crystal Beach, Delaware Avenue Beach and Downtown Beach.
2. Hit the slots. Atlantic City is known for its casinos. From Tropicana to Trump Taj Mahal, you can play slots and table games in a variety of themed venues late into the night.
3. Stroll the boardwalk. A boardwalk is a staple for any beach town — and Atlantic City’s wooden walk stretches for five miles. Lined with restaurants, shops and hotels, this main drag is a must-see. It’s also a prime historical attraction, as it has been around since the late 1800s.
4. Visit Absecon Lighthouse. Designed by Civil War general George Gordon Meade, the tallest lighthouse in New Jersey was completed in 1857. Climb the 228 stairs to the top of this 171-foot tower for a great view of the scenic Jersey Shore.
5. Cast your reel. Hop on a boat and head out to sea to catch dinner. Atlantic City offers some great fishing, both seaside and in deep water. Well offshore you’ll find everything from mahi mahi and tuna to marlin and sea bass; striped bass and bluefish are found closer to land.