Answers from Our Experts (1)
The restaurant scene in Auckland is quite diverse actually, so it’s easy to find a restaurant that offers whatever kind of cuisine you’re craving. Here are Forbes Travel Guide editors’ choices for the five best places to eat in Auckland:
1. The Observatory Buffet. A revolving restaurant with a view that's actually worth the price tag, this Sky Tower spot features gourmet seafood selections served buffet-style. Your meal includes admission to the tower's observation deck.
2. Annabelles Restaurant. This popular bistro offers indoor or outdoor dining with a view of St. Heliers Bay. It’s known for its breakfasts and for using Kiwi dished and ingredients — like mashed kumara and soft cheeses from local dairies — in its menu.
3. Tanuki's Cave. Auckland has no shortage of great Japanese restaurants, including this charming Queen Street spot that offers an extensive menu of fresh fish, grilled yakitori skewers and vegetable dishes in a small, comfortable sushi and sake bar.
4. Ponsonby Road Bistro. A crowded bistro in a hip neighborhood, Ponsonby Road is famed for its market fresh fish like whole crispy flounder with capers and lemon or sardine escabeche with almonds and saffron, delectable puddings and sorbets, and thorough wine list featuring selections from local vineyards.
5. dine. Foodies flock to this spot by Kiwi chef Peter Gordon in the SkyCity Hotel, which has set and à la carte menus featuring Gordon's blend of Eastern and Western fusion flavors. You’ll find dishes like bluff oysters, crayfish and coconut laksa and roasted Hawke’s Bay lamb.