Answers from Our Experts (1)
New Zealanders have a way of making visitors from all over the world feel welcome. You’ll find an exception level of service at these five hotels, which Forbes Travel Guide editors consider the best places to stay in Auckland:
1. SkyCity Grand Hotel. Part of the city's central SkyCity entertainment complex, this acclaimed luxury hotel is right downtown. Besides posh rooms, the SkyCity complex includes a casino, movie theater, numerous restaurants, and access to Sky Tower, and a high-end restaurant.
2. The Great Ponsonby Arthotel. Ponsonby is Auckland's trendy arts neighborhood, and the Arthotel is a prime example of the area’s aesthetic. Gerry and Sally are the welcoming owners at this bed-and-breakfast in a restored vintage villa that has an impressive art collection of its own.
3. Hilton Auckland. This Hilton hotel, opened in 2001, has one of the best locations in Auckland: The hotel sits at the end of Prince's Wharf, right on Viaduct Harbour. The modern hotel boasts rooms as well as apartment accommodations with spectacular views, a world-class spa, cocktail bar and White, a casually elegant restaurant.
4. The Langham Auckland. Equally ideal for business or leisure travelers, The Langham mixes modern amenities with rooms that have a neo-classic feel and opulent fabrics. Guests have access to a rooftop pool complex, fitness center, Jacuzzi and sauna.
5. Hotel DeBrett. Built in 1841, the DeBrett is an outstanding boutique hotel with just 25 rooms located just off Queen Street in the city center. The modern luxury building features colorful, electic decor that recalls art deco style. Bathrooms are especially indulgent, with extra deep tubs, separate showers with rain or slide heads and heated black granite floors.