Answers from Our Experts (1)
Practically a giant sandbox, Belize is a great place to bring your kids. Whether you take them to see Mayan ruins, to the beach or the zoo, Belize’s surf and turf won’t disappoint. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ picks for the five best things to do with kids in Belize.
1. Snorkeling. Though most upscale Belize hotels have a pool, why linger there when you could slip into the clear blue waters off Belize’s coast? With a little help, kids as young as five years old can don a pair of water wings and take in colorful schools of fish, turtles and even some nurse sharks.
2. Maya ruins. While the history may whoosh above their heads, children will love to run around the temples, hang on vines and climb the staircases that make Belize’s Mayan landmarks a great family destination.
3. Canoeing. Perfect for teens, canoeing along the tributaries of Belize offers an ideal mixture of enchanting jungle and peaceful village scenery. Tour companies tend to offer canoe adventures on the Mopan and Macal Rivers, both of which are perfect for a family paddle.
4. Rainforest Trek. Kids of all ages will love the natural wonders hiding behind every corner of Belize jungles. From tarantulas to howler monkeys, the country is home to a wide variety of exotic animals. Assuming monkeys are the overwhelming favorite, check out the Community Baboon Sanctuary in Cayo for a wild outing with a knowledgeable guide. Otherwise, the Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve is also a popular pick.
5. Belize Zoo. Jaguars. Eagles. Cobras. The 29-acre Belize Zoo is home to more than 150 animals spanning 45 native species. Take your kids to meet April the Tapir, Junior Buddy the Jaguar or Panama the Harpy Eagle for an excursion they’ll never forget.